Issues starting Windows Update (Getting an Error message)

10-11  Source: Network gathering  Views:3 

Advertisement
Hello, I have gotten a computer within the last 3 months and for that time everything was running fine. However, within the last day or two (after Windows installed an optional update) I have been having issues with opening "Windows Update". I
have googled the error message I am getting and most of the things are describing this same problem with windows media player, which I am not having the issue with. So far, I have tried clearing out my search history in the windows metro settings, cleaning
my registry, rebuilt my index, and doing an entire windows restore (which worked untill I re-installed the update) I am using Windows 8.1.
This is the error message I am getting: http://prntscr.com/582lj7
What happens is I search for windows update, click on it, then it does nothing then after a few minutes that error message pops up. Sometimes along with the windows update program, sometimes not. Often not, and then after a few good minutes a bunch of windows
update windows will pop up for each time I clicked it. 
Lastly, I am also having a problem restarting my computer and I believe it may be tied to this issue it just stays at the restart screen for ever untill I manually hit the button to turn off the computer. 
Do I need to do another system restore and this time don't install the update? Or, is there an easier fix to this problem?
This is the error message I am getting: http://prntscr.com/582lj7
[}.settingcontent-ms  Server execution failed]
Here's one way to find what is not working:
cd /d  %LocalAppData%\Packages
dir/a/b/s  *.settingscontent-ms  |  find  "Classic_{36e"  |  clip
Then open a Notepad window and do a Ctrl-o Ctrl-v and Enter
Somehow I think the failure may have more to do with the program which "executes" the .settingcontent-ms  file extension...
C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Local\Packages>assoc .settingcontent-ms
.settingcontent-ms=SettingContent
C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Local\Packages>ftype SettingContent
File type 'SettingContent' not found or no open command associated with it.
What a surprise!  OTOH consistency found in W8's continual obfuscation and unhelpfulness.  ; }
For a guess about something hopefully related that you could try see
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/notime/archive/2013/10/18/fix-store-app-in-windows-8-1.aspx
<quote>
powershell -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $Env:SystemRoot\ImmersiveControlPanel\AppxManifest.xml
</quote>
Otherwise, as usual I would be running ProcMon to try to understand what was going on.
Good luck
Robert Aldwinckle
Related articles